Our Brochures

Read the About Our Service brochure online or download our printable brochure.

Your AMHS can downloaded the SPOS Poster if they would like to display a copy of on your ward or in your clinic.


To submit feedback our service, complete our feedback form. Feedback can be submitted anonymously.

Second Psychiatric Opinions

To find out more about Second Psychiatric Opinions more generally, see the Department of Health and Human Services website, Second Psychiatric Opinions.

Useful Services Poster

To find out about support services available to consumers and families using hospital based mental health services in Victoria you can download the Useful Services Poster.

Independent Mental Health Advocacy

If you are on a compulsory treatment order, IMHA advocates can support you to have your say about your assessment, treatment and recovery.

Call them on 1300 947 820 between 9.30 am and 4.30 pm Monday to Friday or email [email protected].

Visit the IMHA website for more information.




The Mental Health Tribunal

You can make an application to the Mental Health Tribunal against your Treatment Order.




Mental Health Complaints Commissioner

The Mental Health Complaints Commissioner is an independent, specialist complaints organisation created by the Mental Health and Wellbeing Act 2022 to help resolve complaints about Victorian public mental health services, safeguard people’s rights and recommend improvements.

If you have a complaint about the Second Psychiatric Opinion Service, contact the Mental Health Complaints Commissioner on 1800 246 054 or use the online complaint form.

Mental Health Complaints Commissioner





Victoria Legal Aid

Call Victoria legal aid on 1300 792 387 for free information about the law and how they can help you with your mental health legal problem, or visit their website.

Mental Health Legal Centre

The Mental Health Legal Centre (MHLC) provides a free and confidential legal service to anyone who has experienced mental illness in Victoria where their legal problem relates to their mental illness. Call 1800 555 887 or visit their website. 

Office of the Chief Psychiatrist

If there are changes recommended in the Second Opinion Report and your psychiatrist does not adopt any or all of these, you can apply to the Chief Psychiatrist for a review of your treatment.

The Chief Psychiatrist can be contacted on:
Phone 1300767 299
Email: [email protected]

How to contact your local Area Mental Health Service

See a complete list of Victorian Mental Health Services here.

There are 21 adult Area Mental Health Services in Victoria. The Mental Health Service a person uses will depend on factors such as their age and their address.

If you or someone you know is experiencing a mental health emergency situation, please call 000.

If you require mental health triage, call your local Area Mental Health Services triage line. These areas (by suburb) and their triage telephone numbers can be found at the link above.

How to find a private psychiatrist

If you would like to see a psychiatrist privately, you can find details on the official Directory of Consultants.

The Mental Health and Wellbeing Act 2022

To learn more about the Mental Health and Wellbeing Act 2022 and your rights as a mental health consumer under the Act, see the Department of Health and Human Services Mental Health and Wellbeing Act Handbook. 

Victorian Mental Illness Awareness Council

VMIAC is the peak Victorian non-government organisation for people with lived experience of mental health or emotional issues. VMIAC engages in a number of activities, including information provision, mutual support and self-help, individual, group and systemic advocacy, research and evaluation, and education and training.

Contact them on (03) 9380 3900 or go to the VMIAC website.

Tandem Carers

Tandem is the peak body for families and carers of people in Victoria experiencing mental ill health.

Contact them on (03) 8803 5555 or email [email protected].

Office of the Public Advocate

The Victorian Office of the Public Advocate (OPA) has promoted the rights, interests and dignity of people with disability (specifically intellectual impairment, mental illness, brain injury, physical disability or dementia) living in Victoria.

Contact them on 1300 309 337 or email [email protected].

The Carers Recognition Act 2012

To learn more about the Carers Recognition Act 2012 and your rights as a carer under the Act, see the Department of Health and Human Services information page.